This is the go-to recipe for winter months. It keeps you warm and provides enough energy for this season. It is rich in plant-based protein and brings pure joy and bliss to your tummy!
This amazing Tortilla Soup has been with me since 2012… almost ten years as I write these words. Isn’t it fascinating how some recipes stick to your life? This one is our changemakers’ comfort food in cold months. What I love about this winter soup is that it can be a proper lunch when you add all the garnish ingredients or a lighter dinner when you serve a smaller portion and focus more on the liquid content.
Best Ever Tortilla Soup
- 2 tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minces
- 8-10 mushrooms sliced
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper finely chopped
- 2 carrots finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper or other hot pepper seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 1 tsp salt or 1 tbsp tamari sauce
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato purée
- 1 cup kidney beans can or preferebly home-cooked
- 1 cup black beans can or preferebly home-cooked
- 1 cup red beans can or preferebly home-cooked
- 3 ½ cups water
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup dry millet or bulgur wheat
- fresh cilantro for garnish optional
- tortilla chips for garnish optional
- avocado sliced for garnish optional
- plant-based yoghurt for garnish optional
- Add the oil to a large pot. Sauté the vegetables and spices in the oil over medium to medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until tender. Add a few tablespoons of water if the veggies begin sticking to the pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the cilantro and and remaining garnish ingredients, simmer over medium-low heat, covered, for 30 minutes. Stir and simmer for an additional 20 to 30 minutes until the veggies are cooked through.
- Serve sprinked with the cilantro, sliced avocado, plant-based yoghurt and tortilla chips.
- PS. Share with loved ones. This Tortilla soup won't last long in your kitchen!
Share the recipe: